[Sca-cooks] Ansteorran mountains was Period Fire Starting - TheGlare

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jul 3 15:21:01 PDT 2008

> But ours are older...according to what I understand, the Appalachians
> predate any of the mountains west of the Mississippi by several hundred
> millenia.
>
> Kiri

Most people think of the mountains west of the Mississippi as being those
that start with the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains.  These mountains are
quite a bit younger than the Appalachians.  However, the Quachitas in
Oklahoma and Arkansas are part of the Appalachians that have become
separated from the rest of the Appalachians.  They are west of the
Mississippi.  The Wichita Mountains in southwestern Oklahoma are of the same
age as the Appalachians and were uplifted during the Appalachian orogeny.

It's estimated that the Wichitas rose to about 20,000 feet, but time, wind
and water have reduced them to under 3000 feet.

A piece of the Appalachians turned up in 2006 in the Acatlan Complex in
southern Mexico, so the geologists are arguing about how geologic history is
to be rewritten.

Bear