[Sca-cooks] yorkshire pudding

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 7 00:34:56 PDT 2008

Sandra posted, in reply to Adamantius:
>From Randolph C. Williams' reprint of the 1796 edition of Hannah Glasse
>(long s retained):
>
>p. 190
>A Yorkfhire Pudding.
>Take a quart of milk and five eggs, beat them up well together, and mix
>them with flour until it is of a good pancake batter, and very fmooth; put
>in a little falt, some grated nutmeg, and ginger; butter a dripping or
>frying pan and put it under a piece of beef, mutton, or a loin of veal that
>is roafting, and then put in your batter, and when the top fide is brown,
>cut it in fquare pieces, and turn it, and then let the under fide be brown;
>then put it in a hot difh as clean of fat as you can, and fend it to
>table hot.
>
>Phew - all one sentence!  So this isn't a (modern) "put the batter in a pan
>full of hot dripping and bake it" recipe, but something similar to older
>recipes of catching the juice dripping from meat as it roasts, but with
>batter in the pan instead of bread.  Also OOP, but older than I had been
>aware the name was in use.

OK, i am mystified (What?! Again?!)

The only way i have ever known to make Yorkshire pudding is to mix
eggs, milk, flour, and seasonings and put it in a pan on a rack
beneath a roast so the drippings fall into it. I don't remember where
i got the recipe i used, but i know it didn't have all the spices
that Hannah put in hers. Still, it was tasty.

I did this back when i was learning to cook (and it was a rather
small roast) in the winter of 1967 and had my first apartment (in
Manhattan). Meant i had some cleaning to do in that oven, but it was
an interesting experiment. I only ever had eaten roast beef and
Yorkshire pudding in the spring of 1962 in London at Claridge's, all
rich woods and Victorian atmosphere...

I had no idea that people have been just baking batter mixed with
drippings on its own! That seems like... like... well, like
cheating...

But, thanks for posting the recipe, Sandra. If i ever decided to do
another roast at home, i'll give it a try with all those extra spices.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing