[Sca-cooks] OOP-OT Squash - just shred it

K C Francis katiracook at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 15 14:49:49 PDT 2008

My favorite and easy recipe for those larger squash is to:

Shred into a colander.
Salt well.
Sit over sink for about 30 min. or until lots of liquid has drained.
Squeeze by handfulls to remove all possible liquid.
Lay on paper towel.
Saute garlic or shallots or red onion, etc. in a little oil.
Add zucchini to pan and stir until hot (doesn't need any actual cooking).
Optional: add a bit of butter for flavor and serve.

Actually the garlic, etc. is optional too, but always tasty.  This is a perfect use for the large bitter ones, but works on any size.
I had this in a restaurant and my companion says "Kay, what is this vegetable?"  I replied that it was zucchini and I had read about fixing it this way in a Julia Child cookbook.  He was LIVID that I KNEW how to fix it this way and had NEVER done so for us!  I certainly added this to our regular menu options.  I love to use the yellow zucchini with the dark green to get that 'straw and hay' look.