[Sca-cooks] Weird American food?

Margaret Rendell m_rendell at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jul 18 03:30:57 PDT 2008

Huette von Ahrens wrote:
> Interesting.  The last time I was in Melbourne [Mid December 1974 through February 1975], my hosts served pumpkin pie for dessert on Christmas Day.

maybe it was a 70s thing. Certainly it was a trendy 70s colour :)

> I don't think they did it just for me and not one person asked what it was, not even the children.  They also served pavlova and plum pudding.  If I remember correctly, all the desserts were fully eaten by the end of the meal.  I also remember being very surprised when the meat dishes were served.  I was expecting goose and roast beef.  What they served was turkey and roast beef.  I was told that goose was very expensive and that turkey was less expensive and very popular.

I've never eaten goose, and only seen it for sale at specialty butchers.
In my experience (Christmas with my own and a few other Australian
families, mostly in Melbourne, I don't know if it's typical), the meats
served at Christmas are turkey (very much a Christmas thing, not eaten
much at all at other times) and ham, with a strong rearguard action by
seafood platters (served cold and much more appropriate to the weather).

Margaret/Emma
Melbourne, Australia/Krae Glas, Lochac