[Sca-cooks] Pickled Figs (was RE: Pickles (was Re: Weird food))

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Mon Jul 21 10:02:15 PDT 2008

Lady Celia wrote:
>Those sound wonderful!  You may have said earlier and I missed it... Are
>they period?

Is there a period precedent for the pickled figs? I have no idea to
be honest, I have not found one but then again, I haven't looked either.

It's a recipe I made up myself which is something I do all the time.
I get an idea for something that sounds good to me and I make it,
just because I can.

A perfect example of my extemporaneous cooking would be the casserole
I made yesterday... I had a rather gigantic piece of squid in my
freezer I needed to use it up as it had been there for some time (I
am not kidding, this was about 3-1/2 lbs. all in ONE piece, about
1/2" thick from a Humboldt Squid out of the Sea of Cortez). I was
thinking about a baked squid dish I had tasted many years ago made by
the mother of one of my classmates back in high school which was much
smaller stuffed squid baked in tomato and garlic.

So I took some uncooked rice, an onion diced fine, minced garlic, and
Spanish smoked paprika and sauteed them in a little olive oil. I laid
that in a baking dish and then took the thinly sliced squid, more
garlic, and shredded carrots, and sauteed them in a little more olive
oil, I added thinly sliced Chinese dried sausage, tomato sauce and
red wine. There was a significant amount of liquid there for the rice
to absorb. I poured that over the rice and baked it all with foil
covering at 325 F for an hour then boosted the temperature to 400 F
and removed the foil for 15 minutes to brown the top. It was quite
delicious if I do say so myself :-)

Dragon