[Sca-cooks] lethal drinks

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Mon Jul 21 11:19:48 PDT 2008

Arianwen ferch Arthur wrote:

> > >It is patently unfair to act irresponsibly and then
> > blame a manufacturer or
> > >sales person for one's own ignorance or lack of due
> > diligence.
>
>On another note, lets ban peanuts, after all they
>might kill someone! :-)
>
>We are getting a litle crazy when the jar of peanut
>butter or almond candy bar has to say, "caution may
>contain nuts"

That is what litigation gets you. A thorough reading of the
ingredients should be sufficient but apparently the FDA (the
organization in the U.S. responsible for food labelling standards)
does not agree.

As I have stated here before, this sort of thing is a pet peeve of
mine as it surfaces in various forms in the SCA all the time. I've
had people categorically tell me that I should NEVER use ingredient X
(usually nuts or mushrooms) in anything served at an SCA feast
because somebody might be allergic to them. Very bluntly, there are a
bunch of self-centered people in the society who think that their own
dietary issues should dictate what everyone else eats, I heartily
disagree and campaign actively against such madness.

My response when I am told such things is very reasonable I think and
it is thus:

- Not more than one dish per course in a feast will contain a
potentially problematic ingredient. For example, almonds would not
appear in more than one dish per course but may appear more than once
in different dishes in different courses (though usually I don't do
that in a given feast). My list of such things includes the most
common allergens all types of nuts, shellfish (which I almost never
use due to cost), and mushrooms. A number of potential allergens are
not even used in anything I cook for an SCA event as they are non-period.

- A COMPLETE list of ALL ingredients used in each dish is made
available BEFORE the feast is served.

- Strict control is maintained in the kitchen to prevent
cross-contamination. For example, each pot has it's own spoon to stir
it to prevent the almond milk from getting into another sauce for
example. All cutting boards, knives and other prep gear are washed
with hot water and soap before being used for the next ingredient, etc.

Dragon