[Sca-cooks] Cooking steaks was Re: lethal drinks

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 21 19:09:59 PDT 2008

> But you know what really disturbs me?
>
> The people who will order a steak well-done. I can vaguely
> understand medium-rare, but well-done is an abomination... tragic...
> it's just not right.
>
> Dragon

I think that how people were fed when they grew up has a large part in how they order their steaks.  My mother only cooked steak well-done and that is the way I ordered it when dining out as a child, teenager and young adult.  However, I got better.  I started to dislike chewy meats, so I gradually started ordering my meat from medium well to medium to medium rare.  I have occasionally eaten rare, but it is a textural thing with me; also a temperature thing.  Unless I know a restaurant really well, I will never order rare because I don't want cold raw meat [that has happened to me].
I like my beef juicy, but at least warm all the way through.  And I don't like the taste or texture of raw beef fat.

One the other hand, I like my sushi and sashime raw and cold.  The taste and texture of fish is entirely different.  But it has to be cold.  Selene and I went to a new sushi place near my house and all the sushi came out lukewarm.  We didn't get sick, but I will never go back there again.

Dragon, have you always eaten your steaks rare?  How did your mother or father cook them for you?  I think that those people who still order well-done steaks have immature pallets or are not adventurous eaters.  My brother is one of those kinds.  He still orders his steaks and [shudder] prime rib well-done.  But then he is not an adventurous eater.  And he dislikes sushi.

Huette