[Sca-cooks] Cooking steaks

Lawrence Bayne shonsu_78 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 14:32:53 PDT 2008

IF you would like the "wisdom" of a professional cook with 25+ years in many types of kitchens, including a few steak houses, I may be able to help you. If you order your steak:

RARE: Expect it to STILL be cool and red on the inside and just seared on the outside. IF they are cooking over open flame you might get the fat charred slightly as well.

MED RARE: Warm red/pink inside and outside seared well.

MEDIUM: Hot pink inside and seared outside with any fat well cooked. (My wife likes this one. She wants the fat wll charred but inside still coolish)

MEDIUM WELL: Hot throughout with hint of pink still at center. Caramelized grey brown outside.

WELL: Hot grey inside. Caramelized Grey/brown outside. NOT BURNT.

EXTRA WELL; Burnt offering.

Many cooks in smaller restaurants will cheat to a little more done as many people have a problem serving raw food, and MOST people really do not know HOW well thay want their meats.
BB
YIS
Lothar