[Sca-cooks] carpaccio?

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jul 22 14:40:43 PDT 2008

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Antonia mentioned:
> <<< I like raw beef (carpaccio etc.), but not if it has any noticable
> fat on
> it.>>>
>
> What is carpaccio? We've discussed at least one raw meat dish here
> before, but I don't remember this being it. From the name, I assume
> this is Italian. Is that true? What other types of raw meat dishes
> are there? Do such meats need to be from a particular cut of meat or
> a particular animal?

Well, the classic carpaccio is thinly sliced raw beef or maybe veal, but
people also refer to all sorts of other raw dishes as carpaccio.  I've
had veal, venison, and tuna carpaccios-- all delicious.
There are _lots_ of other raw meat dishes- steak tartare (beef), yukhoe
(beef, from Korea-- delicious!), mett (pork, from Germany), kitfo and
gored gored (beef, from Ethiopia), kibbeh nayeh (lamb, from Lebanon)--
and probably a lot more than that.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,