[Sca-cooks] Pulled Sugar Penydes was SCA 50th Anniversary Challenge

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 22 17:53:19 PDT 2008

Here is the source I am comparing

Taffy

2 cups sugar
small piece butter
1/2 teacup vinegar
1/2 teacup water

Boil until it will harden in water.  Poru into a butter tin.  When cool enough to pull add 1 teaspoonfull of lemon or any desired flavor.  The longer it is pulled the better it will be.

attributed to Grandma Huston, Daniel, (WY)

It is from the 'pioneer recipes' section of a book titled 'Cooking in Wyoming' and is the Woman's suffrage centennial edition, South Pass City  1869-1969.  It was printed in 1990 as an identical to the one printed in 1967.  Published by the Wyoming Trading Company, Mills, Wyoming, copyright to the State of Wyoming, 1965.  There is some spiffy psudohistory about womens suffrage starting at a tea party in South Pass City, Wyoming.

I've made it a few times but the kids don't like it as well as they do the Salt Water Taffy I make.  The kids DO love to pull the taffy for a short while.  generally I end up finishing the pull myself.  Never considered using a hook to help with it ... but may have to try that.  Jo (Georgia L.) Foster Never knock on Death's door.Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that. I don't want to set the world on fire, I'm just trying to light a candle.