[Sca-cooks] Vegetarian & Vegans was Re: lethal drinks

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Wed Jul 23 15:17:55 PDT 2008

Dragon wrote:

> Oh no, definitely do not think that we are decrying all who practice a
> vegetarian diet. While I don't agree with, or necessarily understand,
> their dietary choices, I do respect them and all I ask is the same
> respect in return for mine and an understanding that while we try to
> accommodate them, they are in the minority and we cannot and will not
> go to extremes for them. It is simply the difficult ones, the
> militant, preachy, narrow-minded ones that have a sense of entitlement
> and
> know-they-are-right-by-god-and-everyone-else-needs-to-be-just-like-me
> types that cause the problems.

Hear, hear.  I absolutely don't have a problem with vegetarianism as
such.  People can eat whatever they want.  All I ask is that when they
book for one of my feasts they mention that they don't eat meat-- that
way, I can be sure that they get a good and varied meal.*  I've just
encountered more than one vegetarian with a very well-developed sense of
entitlement and/or a tendancy to go "Ewww!" when in the same room with
meat, and they annoy the Hell out of me.  Vegetarians who don't engage
in that stuff don't bother me at all and are more than welcome.

*I might do some special stuff, or I might not.  It depends whether I
think the meal minus the meat is sufficiently substantial and varied.
Same applies to people with other restrictions. Nobody should imagine
that telling me their dietary restrictions is "asking for special
treatment"-- just let me know, and I'll worry about producing a good meal.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?