[Sca-cooks] South Beach

Lady Celia CeliadesArchier at cox.net
Wed Jul 23 20:05:56 PDT 2008

>From what you're saying, though, you're not "doing South Beach - sort of..."
You're not actually doing South Beach at all.  Induction or "detoxing" is an
integrated part of South Beach.  It's not a matter of being "fanatic." It's
a matter of biochemical process.  What it sounds like you're doing is just
cutting back on carbs and focusing on eliminating 'bad carbs'.

Which is Great! It actually sounds like you probably don't need to be doing
an actual carb control program if you're doing well with all the sugar
you're putting into your system.  Some folks do tolerate natural carbs (like
fructose & whole grains) very well. While a high percentage of the populace
is "insulin intolerant" or "type x" folks, it's not all of us by any
stretch.  So from what you say below, it sounds like you don't actually
*need* induction, and you're just using the South Beach guidelines to help
remove a little more 'bad carbs' from your diet and to move farther along
your path to a nutritional plan that works for you.  And in that case I'd
just keep doing what I was doing, and not worry about the fact that oatmeal
isn't on the list.  If you're tolerating O.J., there's no reason you
shouldn't tolerate oatmeal or high protein whole grain cereals.

But that's not "doing South Beach", not even "sort of."  And the reason I'm
so adamant about it is that it's exactly what I was saying before... it
propagates misinformation about how these control carb plans work, why they
work, and who they work for.  One doesn't have to be on one of the well
known carb control plans to be eating their carbs reasonably... which sounds
like exactly what you're doing.  And that being the case, the "rules" about
induction don't apply, as you're not *in* induction anyway.

Respectfully,
Celia

P.S.
And I'm assuming you're kidding when you mention "sweetened condensed milk"
in connection with carb control ;-)