[Sca-cooks] Goat milk for cheese

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 13:03:33 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Kathleen Madsen <kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> > Has anyone tried canned goats milk to make cheese?? Our
> > local Krogers has a sale on them.?
> >
> > Aldyth
> >

> The pasteurization method used to make the canned goat milk shelf stable
> breaks up the milk proteins pretty fine - so any curd you're going to form
> will be pretty soft.  I add a little calcium chloride to the milk when I
> make cheese using pasteurized milk, it helps the curd to form a little
> tighter so you can make harder cheeses.  Also, goat milk is very, very
> delicate and the more you handle it during the cheesemaking process the
> stronger a "capric note" you're going to get in the cheese.  "Capric note"
> is one of the trade phrases for goaty taste.  I would think that the
> pasteurizing process they use will be rough enough to bring out more of that
> capric note, but you'd have to try it to be sure.
>
> If it's your only alternative then I suggest you try it and see how you
> like it.  You may also be able to find a local supplier by going here:
> http://www.realmilk.com/  I found my buying club that way and now have
> access to raw jersey and raw goat milk once a week or I could drive up to
> the farm and buy direct whenever I want.
>
> Eibhlin

If your cheese ends up too stinky for you, send it here...I love love LOVE
stinky cheese.  And goat cheese is one of my favorites...especially the ones
with a lot of flavor...most that I find, now, taste little different than
cream cheese....I miss the old days, when I could find a good, stinky, rank
goat cheese.  Blow your ears off.

Yummy.

--
Ian of Oertha