[Sca-cooks] Silly season

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 27 17:48:39 PDT 2008

On Jul 27, 2008, at 8:26 PM, Nick Sasso wrote:

> I always hear Henry V when we mention Mario Nebbits.
>
> If you weren't there to experience the whole thing, then there is
> simply no
> describing the silliness that came of a simple out of office reply.  I
> giggle driving down the road sometimes still to this day.  What was
> it, 1995
> or 1996??  I was at a new job at the time, and reading email online.

My recollection is that this list isn't quite that old (I think it
started in 96 or 97), and had been around maybe a year and a bit (I
STR joining it in April, and it was then only a few days old) when
Mario Nebbits made his bid for inter-office, Pennsic Silly Season
immortality.

For those too young in list terms to know how the game is played, what
happens is, someone goes away on vacation, leaving an automatic reply
e-mail, without unsubscribing from the list. Every post to the list,
including the aforeseyd auto-reply, generates another message saying
so-and-so is out of the office (I STR it was a bank) for the next ten
days, and if anyone needs immediate attention, to call Mario Nebbits
at (XXX) XXX-XXXX, or e-mail him at mnebbits at everybank.com.

Then we talk about people with really funny names we have known in our
times...

When we get tired of that, there's always Twinkies. Thank God we're
easily entertained... ;-)

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter