[Sca-cooks] Why *X* and not *Y*?

Heleen Greenwald heleen at ptd.net
Mon Jul 28 13:01:09 PDT 2008

Please...... What does kangaroo taste like?  And please don't say
chicken...... It's just that after reading this thread for a
while..... now I am curious as all get out.

It strikes me as curious that we  (used as a general pronoun) get
certain mind-sets that  *X* is OK to eat (ie,, beef) while *Y* is NOT
OK to eat  (ie dog) in this culture anyway. And I mean that as an
emotional reaction, not religious or dietary. I know that  (stupidly,
I'm sure, I am sitting here wondering what kangaroo tastes like, but
if you were to give me a kana-burger... I'd gag and not be able to
eat it.  I grew up with tongue, which I remember being delicious, but
today I would gag on it.  That's just overly emotional , not useful
at all...... Thank You Spock..... OK, I;m free-associating now.... I
have to leave.....

...... or why do they sell lamb, beef, chicken freely, or rather
commonly in supermarkets, but not deer? Or baby lamb, but not
mutton?  Can you get mutton freely in Britain?
Just wondering...
Phillipa
Have I been banished to the Rock?