[Sca-cooks] A question about venison

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 30 13:43:14 PDT 2008

> I've been given some venison steaks, and am
> seeking suggestions of how to season and
> cook them. Does anyone have a favorite way
>of preparing them?
I love venison as minute steaks. A quick pounding
with a meat mallet and dredged in seasoned flour
then pan fried. Make sure to use the dripping for
gravy!

Here is what I served at the Central Regional 12th
Night to rave reviews. I even made a version of this
recipe with firm tofu for the non-Bambi eaters.

Basic Marinade – Ingredients
1 bottle of Burgundy or red wine1 large peeled and finely chopped white onion4 desertspoons of dark brown Muscovado sugar2 tablespoons of 'extra virgin' olive oil2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar2 large finely chopped carrots1 sprig of fresh Rosemary1 sprig of fresh Thyme1 sprig of Parsley6 large bay leaves6-10 whole peppercorns3 large whole cloves of garlic (crushed)
Method
• Sweat the vegetables in the oil then pour in the Burgundy. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring slowly to the boil.
• Simmer for twenty minutes and then leave to cool.
• When absolutely cold, place the venison in a pot and baste thoroughly with the marinade. Cover with tinfoil place in the bottom of a fridge and leave to marinate for as long as possible (2 days is good). Remember turn the meat before you go to bed and turn it again when you get up in the morning.
• When you are ready to cook remove the venison from the marinade and let it drip dry, saving the marinade to make gravy. Don’t forget to strain it to remove surplus solids.
• Roast the venison until it matches your requirements. We tend to like it cooked medium rare.
• Make your gravy in the roasting pan using the meat juices and strained marinade to provide additional taste. > Talana
Gunthar