[Sca-cooks] Stefan's Florilegium article for July

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 9 21:52:48 PDT 2008

Greetings to the Gentles of the SCA-Cooks list,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for July.

As you can see below a number of these new files are articles which
were submitted to me by their authors. I am always looking for good
articles on most medieval and SCA subjects. The copyright remains
with the author and there is no requirement that an article not be
published previously. In fact, if I know where an article was first
published I will give word fame to that publication with a note in
the article.

I am also especially interested in papers written for A&S contests.
Few people have the time to read through a long paper at an event.
However by letting me publish your A&S paper in the Florilegium you
let others across the Known World benefit from the research that you
have done. You are free to update it at any time in the future.

Thanks,
    Stefan
----
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past eighteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an
article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation
and class handouts will also often work out well.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping
me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more
details.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the CLOTHING section:
    Elzabethn-Gwn-art    "An Elizabethan Gown of 1575-6" by Mistress
                            Marguerite Dinard, O.L.
In the CRAFTS section:
    Horn-Working-art     "Method for period horn work" by Kirk Morrison.
In the FEASTS section:
    Picnic-Basket-art    "A Pilgrim's Picnic Basket" by Master
                            Gideanus Adamantius, O.L.
In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
    Great-Cake-art       "A Great Cake from the Rose Tourney"
                            by Johnnae llyn Lewis.
    Shortbread-art       "Shortbread" by Johnnae llyn Lewis, CE.
In the HERALDRY section:
    n-Lat-mottoes-msg    Non-Latin mottoes.
In the PERFORMANCE-ARTS section:
    Brewng-Bardng-art    "Brewing and Barding" by THL Thomas Whitehart.
In the PERSONAL CARE section:
    bruise-cream-msg     Period and SCA bruise creams.

Here are just a few of the updated files this month.
    fd-Lw-Cntries-msg    Period food of the Low Countries.
    fd-paintings-msg     Period paintings that show food items.
    fried-foods-msg      Medieval fried foods. Recipes.
    kitchen-clean-msg    Cleaning the kitchen after an SCA event.
    p-manners-msg        Period manners. Period manners books.
    p-prices-msg         Prices for medieval items.
    p-slavery-msg        Slavery in medieval Europe and Middle East.
    p-sumpt-laws-msg     Period sumptuary laws.
    potatoes-msg         Period white and sweet potato use. Recipes.
    yeasts-msg           Medieval use of yeast. Using it in the CMA.
---
Copyright 2008, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article
introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
info are retained.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas