[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 26, Issue 5

Harry Bilings humble_archer at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 2 11:41:51 PDT 2008

Mozzarella tends to be strinney so unless it is supposed to be strinney I would go with some thing else cottage cheese.plachoya > > Greetings! I'm messing around with a 15th-century "tart owte of lente"> recipe which calls for "nesshe" (fresh) cheese. Robin, at Hampton Court,> said to use either Cheshire or Wensleydale cheese. However, in looking> through the Florilegium, it would seem that these aren't "fresh" cheeses. > Would you agree? In one of Bear's old posts he mentions using "farmer's> cheese" for fresh cheese, and others suggest that if that isn't available,> to drain cottage cheese as an approximation. I also saw that someone> suggested using fresh mozzarella for "fresh cheese" in a recipe. So... if> I wanted to try another version of the "tart owte of lente", what would you> think about using a) fresh mozzarella; b) farmer's cheese (if available);> c) drained cottage cheese? Has anyone made a baked cheese tart using any> of these?> > I've made the tart three ways so far, using Cheshire, Wensleydale and> Double Gloucester. All are darned expensive. I thought I might try Colby> (which isn't period, but which is cheaper) because it's a little "crumbly"> which is what someone suggested. Any comments before I head back out to> the grocery store?? Thanks!> > Alys Katharine>