[Sca-cooks] "Adulterated" Flour

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 3 11:44:00 PDT 2008

Greetings!  Richard, the primary researcher of the Hampton Court cooks,
commented about his visit to the US earlier this year that the flour and
sugar sold over here had other things added to it, implying that wheat
flour in the UK was just that - wheat flour.  I noticed on the bags of
flour in the grocery store this week that (at least for the brands I looked
at) they all had malted barley flour added.  Does anyone know why?  Is
there any flour in grocery stores in your area that is only wheat flour
with no other grain added?  Would the addition of barley flour affect the
baking properties differently than a product made entirely of wheat flour?
(My tart cases still don't seem to handle quite the same way as the ones in
the Hampton Court video!)

Alys K.

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com