[Sca-cooks] OOP: Cottage Cheese & Butter - US vs. Canada

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 4 11:30:45 PDT 2008

> You get goat milk, we will make cheese.
That had better be "we" in the inclusive sense.  ;-)

> The recipe was extremely simple but I didn't think it would work when
> we did it. Fortunately, it was one of the first things we did after we
> identified our ingredients.
>
> It's an acid set cheese, there was no rennet anywhere to be found but
> I had done this successfully with cow milk so I though goat milk would
> be a piece of cake too. We used the vinegar and the juice of a lemon
> from the box of stuff with the goat milk. Heated it to 160F and added
> the acid. It did not look like it was doing anything so I added a bit
> more. I think we used about two cups of the milk and about 1/4 cup
> total of juice and vinegar (about equal parts).
>
> It did not really set right away, got a little thickening but no real
> curds. I was about to throw it away but we decided to leave it over
> night to see what it would do. Fortunately, by next morning it had
> converted to a very, very fine curd that we drained using a coffee
> filter.
>
> From there we added a bit of salt to taste and some dried herbs we had
> been given, I think it was marjoram and thyme, I think we also put in
> a pinch of pepper and a bit of lemon zest.
>
> It was very soft and creamy, with a nice sharp bite from the acid and
> the goat milk. Not quite as firm as a chevre but close, had we more
> time to drain it further, we could have achieved that texture. If we
> had access to rennet, I think we could have done it a lot faster.
> Either way, it was delicious.
>
> Dragon
Yeah, that's the thing about goat's milk cheese.  The curd is tiny,
practically microscopic.  It laughs at wide-woven cheesecloth.  The
coffee filter was a good move.

Tangentially, because it would be good for this usage:  I need to pick
you up some of the home-made type apple cider vinegar at my local
farmers' market.  There's something about meeting the family who owns
the orchard to make the apples taste that much better.  And the Ha
family fills out the year with dried apples, apple butter, apple cider
vinegar, etc.  Nice people.

Selene, the occasionally cheesy