[Sca-cooks] Recipe Deal Breakers

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Fri Jun 6 05:42:00 PDT 2008

I've eaten eel.  It's not bad (damned fine in sushi, actually....).  It's
surprisingly rich.  I do not, voluntarily, do offal or organ meats.  Don't
care for the texture and flavors.
When I first started doing SCA cooking, I had a horrible time with ooky
textures--skinning chicken, mixing or shaping ground meat.  Not the fault of
the food...I simply have a horrible time with the texture thing--almost a
phobia, although repeated exposure (and needing to bone and skin 40 lbs of
chicken one time) has largely gotten me over it.
Deal-breakers in recipes usually involve an ingredient I can't get for a
reasonable price (and can't come up with a good substitute for)--like most
fresh fish (we're distinctly inland) or lamb (tasty, but nearly impossible
to find at a reasonable price), or an unusual technique that I don't have
time to learn (or the skills to handle, if I've tried).  I'm a fairly
competent, basic cook, but advanced chef-y stuff is out of my league.
Butchering is out of my league.  All mostly because I'm so bloody busy with
other things in my life that I don't have time to learn much.
Local/regional tastes, food-wise, at least in our SCA groups as a whole, are
pretty conservative.  Folks are okay with going for regional or ethnic
effects, but they still want meat to recognizably be meat, veggies, veggies,
starches, starches, etc. Fall-back feast menus tend to include roasts with
sauces, rather than unusual pottages or dishes.
--Maire