[Sca-cooks] Coffyn Paste

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Jun 6 18:13:42 PDT 2008

Hot Water Crust or Raised Pie Pastry

1 pound plain flour   450 grams
1/4 ounce salt
4 ounces lard      100 grams
one half pint hot water 300 ml

Sift the flour and salt into a warm bowl and make
a well in the centre. Boil the lard in the water until melted
and pour into the flour; mix quickly with a wooden spoon.
Knead the dough by hand while the mixture is still warm, until all the
flour is worked in and the pastry is smooth and free from cracks.
Use while still warm and before it hardens. It cannot be stored
at this stage although it may be stored after moulding to the desired shape.

Lizzie Boyd, ed. British Cookery. 1976, 1984. page 96.

The measurements are the British measures used in the 1970's.
The gram equivalents come from the suggested conversion chart in the book.
This makes a great strong crust for standing pastry.
If you have a microwave, you can heat the lard and water in the microwave
until it is super hot. The lard will melt and sit on the surface. This
is one of instances
where shaking the measuring cup can in fact make the liquid suddenly
explode or
release steam. Be warned.

Johnnae