[Sca-cooks] Butter

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 23 10:43:30 PDT 2008

> So I'm mostly curious about the clarified butter.  Has anyone tested the
> shelf life of it?  Should I add salt to the butter before clarifing?  After
> clarifing?
>
> Vitha
Every India/Pakistani market has jars and jars of ghee, cooked clarified
butter on the shelves at room temperature.  I keep it in my kitchen
without refrigeration, and the only danger seems to be that it goes
stale eventually.

Don't bother salting clarified butter, it will just get filtered out.
I'm big on salting food to taste at the table anyway.

Bon Appetit,
Selene