[Sca-cooks] Butter

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Jun 24 05:08:51 PDT 2008

There's this one  from *Ouverture de Cuisine*
(France, 1604 - Daniel Myers, trans.)
The original source can be found at MedievalCookery.com
<http://www.medievalcookery.com/notes/ouverture.shtm>

To make May butter. Take a quart of new milk, & put it on the fire, &
make it turn in /matton/: when it begins to boil take a dozen beaten
eggs, & cast them therein, & let boil until it seems that the eggs are
cooked: then cast all in linen, & let drip the water well out, & press
well that it doesn't hold any water therein: then grind well in a stone
mortar, with half a pound of new butter, & pass it through a strainer,
put there a little rose water: when so passed it needs to be churned a
long time, & put sugar therein, & arrange on little plates, & raise it a
little high, & sugar thereon.

One can then use the May Butter for things like this:

This is an excerpt from *Das Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin*
(Germany, 16th century - V. Armstrong, trans.)
The original source can be found at David Friedman's website
<http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Sabrina_Welserin.html>

172 Pike in May butter. Take a pike, let it come to a boil in salted
wine with water, and when it is half done, then draw the skin off of it
and put the flesh in a pan and put a large amount of fresh butter, good
wine, ginger and cinnamon thereon. Do not oversalt it and let it cook
together. Do not make too much sauce.

Johnnae