[Sca-cooks] Drummond on Butter

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Jun 25 10:15:04 PDT 2008

Butter tends to be a product that was made and consumed locally, so
one might in fact encounter excess rancid butter being sold for cash in
urban markets.

We might look for legislation regarding the sale of "off" butter just as
we can already find regulations regarding fish and meats. I don't have time
today to prowl through sources and look.

12-14 days in sunlight -- so what the temperature during those of days
of May during the medieval period? You may be talking temps in the 40's.

I came across mention yesterday that butter was given for gout. Arthritis
is probably mentioned in the long lists of uses that I didn't copy over.

There's a paper in Woolgar's Food in Medieval England: Diet and
Nutrition (Medieval History and Archaeology)
that discusses rickets in the middle ages. Rickets does turn up in the
skeletons
of children who died in the period.

The details about Vitamin A make sense as of course that was Drummond's
great discovery.

Johnnae