[Sca-cooks] Tacuinum Sanitatis Text edition

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Sun Jun 1 10:03:05 PDT 2008

Check with the "Oesterreichische Nationalbibliothek" in Vienna

http://www.onb.ac.at/
http://www.onb.ac.at/about/ariadne.htm

Last I heard they possess the orginal manuscript of Tacuinum Sanitatis in
Medicina.  "The Four Seasons of the House of Cerruti" ISBN 0-8160-0138-3
claims to be a complete translation complete with illustrations.  Thier
translation of the text on Garlic is as follows:

"When picking garlic from the garden, select the modice acuitatis,
moderately pungent.  It generates thick, strong humours and is suited to
those with cold temperments, the elderly and very old, mountainous areas,
and the north.  It has many advantages.  It is effective against cold
poisons, scorpion and adder bites; it kills worms, clears the voice, and
soothes chronic coughs.  It can damage the eyes and the brain and to prevent
or remedy this, vinegar and oil are necessary.  Pounded in a mortar with
black olives, as the Greeks do, garlic is useful for dropsy sufferers."

Daniel