[Sca-cooks] "Fresh" Cheese Question

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 2 11:30:49 PDT 2008

Doc wrote:
> A related sidenote:  "nesshe" (or "nesche") here is
> probably not a transcription/copy error for "fresh",
> but is most likely spelled as intended.  "Nesche" is
> the Middle-English word for "soft", so the recipe as
> written is calling for a soft cheese.

Aha!  So in that case, a Cheshire or Wensleydale would fit since they are
fairly soft, agreed?

> If I were making such a recipe and feeling lazy, I'd
> probably use mozzarella.  However, I would also be
> curious how it would turn out using freshly-made
> cheese.

Which mozzarella would you choose?  The fresh one (which is easy to get
here) or the regular pizza-type mozzarella?  And, another question: Is
mozzarella a modern cheese?  Would it have been found in England in the
1400s?

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com