[Sca-cooks] A different "Fresh Cheese" question

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 2 21:51:00 PDT 2008

So the question is. what is the science behind the different textures?

Euriol

I can't tell you precisely what is happening, but I can point out the likely
differences.

Rennin is an enzyme, that in an acidic environment (such as that created by
lactobacilli) catalyzes the coagulation of casein.  As I understand it, this
is a slow conversion process that merely accelerates the natural curdling of
milk beyond sour cream and yougurt to the more solid cheese curd.  Rennin
enables and enhances the conversion, but is not bound up in the process

Vinegar is acetic acid.  Strong acids "cook" proteins, causing them to
coagulate.  Acids produce a lot of hydrogen ions and I suspect that the
coagulation occurs because the hydrogen ions combine with the soluble
protein, but I don't have any texts to hand that would clarify the point.

Bear