[Sca-cooks] Some info on cheesemaking

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jun 3 22:41:23 PDT 2008

Euriol mentioned:
<<< Making cheese is something very new to me (obviously) and I've been
hesitant over the years to try. When I had easy access to a source of
raw
milk I thought it was time to give it a whirl. I'll be doing a little
more
reading and will be saving your notes to reference prior to my next
attempt. >>>

Yes, there seem to be a number of accomplished cheesemakers on this
list at this time.

You also might be interested in looking through this file in the FOOD
section of the Florilegium where I've tried to collect some of the
advice that folks have given here and other places over the years.
cheesemaking-msg (160K)  2/ 9/08    Comments and info. on
cheesemaking. Recipes.

You don't have to have raw milk to make good cheese, though. While
pasteurization and homogenization both have an effect on milk, some
of the problems with modern milk have more to do with the fact that
even "whole" milk has often had much of the cream skimmed off and
sold separately. Sometimes this can be offset by adding some cream
back in. You will find comments about this in that file, though.

Another general file on cheese-making:
Cheese-Making-art (30K)  9/29/97    "Cheese Making for the Compleat
Novice" by
                                        Lady Aoife Finn.

For more info on various types of cheeses and some recipes, there are
also these files:
Charles-Chees-art (14K)  2/27/02    "Charlemagne's Cheese: a study in
the
                                        un/reliability of sources" by
Tangwystyl
cheese-lnks       (15K) 10/ 1/04    Links to medieval and modern cheese
                                        by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
cheese-msg       (186K)  9/23/07    Medieval cheese. Recipes.
fresh-cheeses-msg (44K)  2/ 3/08    Fresh cheeses such as cream
cheese and
                                        cottage cheese. Non-aged
cheeses.
whey-cheeses-msg  (32K)  6/ 1/06    Cheeses such as ricotta made from
the liquid
                                        left after making other cheeses.

For now these are all in the FOOD section, though when I get the
time, I will probably make a new section FOOD-DAIRY and move these
and a few other files there.

There is also this file in the FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS section which might
be of interest:
About-Cheese-art  (12K)  3/ 4/05    "About Cheese" A tranlation by
Aelianora de
                                        Wintringham of a 1556 letter
on Swiss
                                        cheese and dairy products.