[Sca-cooks] elderflowers

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Jun 4 03:40:33 PDT 2008

They also appear in a variety of other places.
38 To make elderflower pudding. Take elder flowers, boil them in milk
and strain them, make a firm dough from eggs and flour and roll it into
a thin flat cake, cut it into the shape of little worms and put them
into the milk, salt it and put fat into it and let it cook. *Das
Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin. *Germany, 16th century - V. Armstrong, trans.

LXXV - Elderflower confectionery. Pick the flowers off the twigs. Put
them in the sun so that they're well dry. Take honey in a pot and boil
to make them well dry. Add to it pepper, ginger, cloves, nutmeg flowers
and cinnamon. This confectionery can be used to several roasts. *Koge Bog*
(Denmark, 1616 - Martin Forest, trans.)

http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?term=elderflower&file=all

Johnnae