[Sca-cooks] Hieronymus Bock herbal was elderflower & Currants

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 7 18:09:53 PDT 2008

> If I am not mistaken, the first edition was published in the mid 16th
> century.
>
> Does anyone know of one of the earlier editions online?
>
> E.

Boch's Kreuter Buch was first published in 1539.  The first edition has no
illustrations.  The Latin edition of 1552 is supposed to have the most
illustrations.  I haven't found any editions on line, so the one you report
is a first in my view.  I do know that there are some editions in the
Cornelius J. Hauck Botanical Collection at the Cincinnati Museum Center, but
they aren't webbed.

The first name has appeared as Jerome (or a variant), Hieronymous, and
Hieronymus.  The last name has appeared as Boch, Bock, Bosch, and Bos.
Botanical work was also published under the names Hieronymus Targus and
Hieronymus Herbarius.

Bear