[Sca-cooks] Hot weather feasts/Italian theme

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 06:14:42 PDT 2008

First you don't need to make recipes up to serve a cold italian feast, there is plenty of room inside the menus and translations already done from Italian.
Salads - I did a class on salads last year (or the year before last) at war.  The class notes are up
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/salads.html
There is everything from herb and green salads, through compound salads and even an antipasto type salad that calls for salami, capers, sardines, etc. A surprisingly tasty apple and onion salad, plus guidelines for making a true Italian salad dressing (salt, pepper, oil, acid) the acid can vary between vinegar, lemon juice, sour orange juice or verjuice.
Check out menus from the month of August for some great hot weather ideas, essentially the courses served from the credenza were served cold:
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/augustmenus.html
Lots of roasted meats served cold (e.g. capon), and boiled meats served cold (ham, sausages), plus pies and pastries.
As far as a cold starch, along with the pies I really don't think that you go wrong with the twisted bread of milk and sugar (excellent bread recipe and it freezes well because of it's richness).
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/twisted.html
Or brazzatelli
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/bagels.html
or even one of the layered pastries
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/renaissance_pastries.html
You can check out my previous feasts for other "served cold" items
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/?200812#Feasts
Plus I still have Scappi and can always find more recipes.
Just contact me off list.
Helewyse