[Sca-cooks] Guissell was Help: Word Translation

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Jun 12 15:24:20 PDT 2008

Let me introduce a couple of important points here.

Guissell. (Note: Taken from Douce MS.)

Actually no --- The recipe is not in the Douce 55 MS. It's actually
in Harl. 4016 on page 87 of Austin.

Online it's here now--
 http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=cme;idno=CookBk;rgn=div1;view=text;cc=cme;node=CookBk%3A7

Doc listed several recipes for the dish in question, but there are
others. We list 16 in the Concordance of English Recipes.
See "jussel" for our list.

You might want to mention that soft foods like this made for easy eating
when one ate with spoons and may have been
lacking teeth.

Johnnae