[Sca-cooks] Almond milk cheese

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Tue Jun 17 14:33:57 PDT 2008

Antonia Calvo wrote:
>euriol wrote:
>
>>I was playing and reading on almond milk just last week. You should be able
>>to take any cheese recipe and just substitue the almond milk for the amount
>>of milk called for.
>>

>Are you sure?  Does rennet set almond milk?

The only recipes I have seen for "almond cheese" are ones that use
the leftover solids from the almond milk process to make something
that resembles ricotta.

It can be quite good actually, one of my siege cook-off team members
made a version seasoned with garlic that was great and would have
been an incredible filling for a savory pie or ravioli. But it isn't
almond milk curdled with rennet, I have not seen such a thing
anywhere and a quick Google does not turn it up in the first couple
of pages (searched on "almond cheese" as well as "almond cheese rennet").

However... I have almonds... I have rennet... I'm willing to use a
little of each to run an experiment just to see what would happen. I
think it could well be possible to make cheese from almond milk, it
has fat and it has protein. I think it would require some
acidification too, I'll probably start with lemon juice or vinegar as
they are quick and easy to use, if it works, then maybe a cheese
culture is worth a try.

OK, I think I have a project for some time in the next week. I'll let
everyone know my findings.

Dragon