[Sca-cooks] Brewing...along similar lines...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jun 22 18:45:07 PDT 2008

Kiri asked:
<<< On a similar but different topic....can anyone give me an idea of
whether or
not Scotch is period, at least in its antecedents?  I have a scotch
flower
cordial that has turned out much better than I thought it would and
would
like to enter it in an upcoming competition.   While I know I cannot
document the cordial itself, it would be great if I could at least
document
the ingredients. >>>

Perhaps this will help. Unfortunately, I didn't finish reading it so
I don't remember how much of it covers the time span before 1600.
Perhaps you can get from ILL.

"Scotch Whisky : A Liquid History"
MacLean, Charles
ISBN: 1-84403-401-1
Cassell Illustrated
288 pages

These Florilegium files might also be of use:
bev-distilled-msg (126K)11/28/06    Medieval distilled beverages.
Distilling.
Clarea-d-Agua-art (12K)  1/ 7/01    "Period drinks - Spiced Wines and
Sweet
                                        Waters" by Vicente Coenca.
cordials-msg     (126K)  2/26/06    Period cordials and liqueurs. SCA
creations.
Peach-Brandy-art  (12K) 10/25/01    "Peach Coriander Brandy" by Lady
Constance
                                        de LaRose.
Vodka-art          (5K) 10/18/06    "Vodka-The Little Water of Life"
                                        by Marija Kotok.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas