[Sca-cooks] Butter

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Jun 24 16:52:37 PDT 2008

One of the things to remember about Drummond is that the man
was a biochemist and quite a famous one at that. In the 1930s, Drummond
was responsible for isolating pure vitamin A.^
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Cecil_Drummond#cite_note-UCL02-9>
He took his knowledge of vitamins and then applied them to nutrition and
then to the English diet.
That research became /The Englishman’s Food: A History of Five Centuries
of English Diet /in 1939.
His co-author Anne Wilbraham became his second wife. Their affair broke
up his first marriage. Jack and Anne
married and their child Elizabeth was born in 1942. During the war he
served as scientific adviser to the Ministry of Food.
He was knighted for his efforts in 1944 and even received the United
States medal of freedom
In 1952 the family was murdered while on vacation in France.
That means that the 1939 and 1940 editions of the book were published
during Drummond's lifetime.
All other copies were published after his death. This also explains why
the book was never revised in
the 1950's or updated in the 1960's.
/The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography /has quite a good biography
on Drummond.

Johnnae/
/