[Sca-cooks] Cookbooks for Beginners

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Mon Jun 2 15:20:19 PDT 2008

I jumped ahead on this thread (good thing) because I was about to say
EXACTLY the same thing.

If you are doing Martino corpus work get the CD-rom.
The California Press translation is not as good as Riley's (although
both make some interesting choices) and the extras on the CD are
FANTASTIC!
The introduction (which is the best part) to the Parzen translation
can be found on the web here http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/
9423/9423.intro.php

As Johnnae mentions below Benporat for the true completist as well as
the various De Honestas (last five books based on Martino), the
Italian and Englsih versions of the Epulario and the Vatican and Riva
del Guarde manuscripts on microfilm! :) OK so maybe that is going a
bit to far. The Neapolitan is a must have but as has been mentioned
before is REALLY badly organized.

There are also two other manuscripts related to Martino in England,
one at the British Library and one Sheffield, I will be reviewing
both this fall.

Eduardo

Food is life. May the plenty that graces your table truly be a VAST
REPAST.

David Walddon
david at vastrepast.com
www.vastrepast.com