[Sca-cooks] "Fresh" Cheese Question

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Jun 3 04:06:08 PDT 2008

My copy of the recipe came through ok but for those who ended
up with a messed up version, the recipe is online as part of:
Thomas Austin's Two fifteenth-century cookery-books/
<http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=cme;idno=CookBk>.

http://name.umdl.umich.edu/CookBk

It's on page 75. It's also up at Doc's site:
http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?tfccb:288

There's also this one which is mid 16th century.
from the 1545 *A Proper newe Booke of Cokerye

*To make a tarte of Chese. Take harde Chese and cutte it in slyces, and
pare it, than laye it in fayre water, or in swete mylke, the space of
three houres, then take it up and breake it in a morter tyll it be
small, than drawe it up thorowe a strainer with the yolkes of syxe
egges, and season it wyth suger and swete butter, and so bake it.

Johnnae