[Sca-cooks] "Adulterated" Flour

terry l. ridder terrylr at blauedonau.com
Tue Jun 3 12:51:08 PDT 2008

hello;

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, Elise Fleming wrote:

> Greetings!  Richard, the primary researcher of the Hampton Court cooks,
> commented about his visit to the US earlier this year that the flour and
> sugar sold over here had other things added to it, implying that wheat
> flour in the UK was just that - wheat flour. I noticed on the bags of
> flour in the grocery store this week that (at least for the brands I looked
> at) they all had malted barley flour added. Does anyone know why? Is
> there any flour in grocery stores in your area that is only wheat flour
> with no other grain added?  Would the addition of barley flour affect the
> baking properties differently than a product made entirely of wheat flour?
> (My tart cases still don't seem to handle quite the same way as the ones in
> the Hampton Court video!)

a quick check of the flour i have on hand.

the cake flour is enriched flour bleached wheat flour with vitamins

the whole wheat flour is 100 percent whole wheat nothing else listed.

king arthur italian flour - soft red winter wheat

king arthur european-style artisan bread flour - ingredients: king
arthur unbleached flour (hard wheat flour, malted barley flour,
niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid),
king arthur all natural white whole wheat flour, ascorbic acid.

king arthur first clear flour - ingredients: hard spring wheat flour,
malted barley flour.

king arthur unbleached pastry flour - ingredients: soft wheat flour

king arthur unbleached flour - ingredients: hard wheat flour, malted
barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin,
folic acid

king arthur french style flour - ingredients: hard wheat flour, malted
barley flour.

king arthur durum flour - ingredients: durum wheat, niacin, iron,
thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid.

http://www.practicallyedible.com/
http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/maltedbarleyflour
<begin quote>
Malted barley flour is added to hard wheat flours to assist yeast
fermentation. During the dough-forming stage, malted barley flour
provides specific enzyme activity that converts the starches in the
wheat flour into simple sugars. These sugars are then available as a
food source for the yeast to maintain proper fermentation activity.
Malted barley flour also aids in proper crust browning.
<end   quote>

granulated sugar, 5lb bag, lists only sugar.
powdered sugar, 1 lb bag, lists sugar and cornstarch.
the cornstarch can be an issue in some recipes so i will grind
granulated sugar into powdered sugar, most of the time.

--
terry l. ridder ><>