[Sca-cooks] Cheese chemistry and some more modern info on cheese making

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Wed Jun 4 08:10:35 PDT 2008

charding at nwlink.com wrote:
>I am finding the book  "American Farmstead Cheese" by Paul Kindstedt to be
>a really good resource for questions about cheese chemistry. I am working
>my way thru the chapter on Starter cultures. Lots of chemistry and food
>for thought.

Excellent, I had been thinking about acquiring that one. It's now on
the short list of books to get when the budget allows.

>Peter Dixon (website ttp://www.dairyfoodsconsulting.com/) has a series of
>newsletters on making and aging cheese.  Discussions with Peter have
>definitely had an impact on the way I approach cheese making.

I shall go check it out.

>Both of these are directed towards the farmstead and artisan cheese maker,
>but have a lot of good chemistry and technique information that were
>useful when I was making cheese in my kitchen. I an now making cheese 2
>days a week for a goat dairy near my house. The leap from 4 gallons of
>milk to 15 to 20 gallons is very interesting.

How so? I'd be interested in hearing what differs significantly.

>My next book to find is The Fabrication of Farmstead goat cheese by
>LaJouen.  It is apparently the essential text on making lactic type
>cheeses (the soft bloomy rind cheeses.)

It is listed as available here for $22.95 US:

http://www.cheesemaking.com/cheesemakingbooks.html

Dragon