[Sca-cooks] OOP: Cottage Cheese & Butter - US vs. Canada

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 4 10:47:33 PDT 2008

Lilinah wrote:
> I was reading a message board on Chowhound (Oct 2007) in which
> Canadians spoke of their favorite foods to buy in the US.
> http://www.chowhound.com/topics/448226
>
> One of the things several mentioned was cottage cheese. Most were
> buying it not too far from the US border, mostly Michigan and points
> east. To be honest, while i've eaten cottage cheese in other states, i
> really don't remember if it's vastly different from what i get here in
> northern California - i mostly buy local stuff, usually Clover - and
> sometimes Nancy's from Oregon.
>
> So what i'm most curious about is how is US cottage cheese different
> from Canadian.
>
> Also, Canadians seemed to like US butter - so, again, how is it
> different from Canadian?

I don't know about Canada, since I haven't set foot across the border
since the 1977 Westercon in Vancouver, but I liked the cottage cheese in
Michigan very much.  In Los Angeles, we get a very bland, milky product,
even from the name brands.  On my MKCS trip last fall, Hauviette had
trouble keeping me out of the fridge eating up all her cottage cheese
because it actually tasted like OMG CHEESE.  California and Michigan are
certainly both notable dairy-producing states, but they certainly do
feed the cattle differently and it shows.  Maybe it's not US cheese they
like but Michigan cheese specifically?  Let's get some input from our
MidRealm friends here.

I'm having a craving lately for goat's milk cheese.  Maybe I'll work on
making some of that too.

Selene