[Sca-cooks] OOP: Cottage Cheese & Butter - US vs. Canada

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Wed Jun 4 11:20:03 PDT 2008

Susan Fox wrote:
>Dragon wrote:
>>Susan Fox wrote:
>>
>>>I'm having a craving lately for goat's milk cheese.  Maybe I'll
>>>work on making some of that too.
>>---------------- End original message. ---------------------
>>
>>Thinking of the goat cheese my team made for siege cook off last year?
>>
>>;-)
>>
>>Dragon
>
>OMFG.  I almost didn't let anyone else try the stuff.  Yup, gotta
>protect the populace and throw myself on that grenade, no, don't
>thank me.  Om nom nom.
>I need that recipe / HOW I DID IT verbal description.  I think
>Ingilborg's neighbor has milking goats if we need'em.

You get goat milk, we will make cheese.

The recipe was extremely simple but I didn't think it would work when
we did it. Fortunately, it was one of the first things we did after
we identified our ingredients.

It's an acid set cheese, there was no rennet anywhere to be found but
I had done this successfully with cow milk so I though goat milk
would be a piece of cake too. We used the vinegar and the juice of a
lemon from the box of stuff with the goat milk. Heated it to 160F and
added the acid. It did not look like it was doing anything so I added
a bit more. I think we used about two cups of the milk and about 1/4
cup total of juice and vinegar (about equal parts).

It did not really set right away, got a little thickening but no real
curds. I was about to throw it away but we decided to leave it over
night to see what it would do. Fortunately, by next morning it had
converted to a very, very fine curd that we drained using a coffee filter.

 From there we added a bit of salt to taste and some dried herbs we
had been given, I think it was marjoram and thyme, I think we also
put in a pinch of pepper and a bit of lemon zest.

It was very soft and creamy, with a nice sharp bite from the acid and
the goat milk. Not quite as firm as a chevre but close, had we more
time to drain it further, we could have achieved that texture. If we
had access to rennet, I think we could have done it a lot faster.
Either way, it was delicious.

Dragon