[Sca-cooks] Recipe Deal Breakers

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 5 19:49:44 PDT 2008

On Jun 5, 2008, at 10:08 PM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> The New York Times had an article yesterday in
> the Wed. Food section on recipes.
>
> Recipe Deal Breakers: When Step 2 Is ‘Corral Pig’
> By KIM SEVERSON
> Published: June 4, 2008 NYT
> it begins--
> "I WAS reading a recipe for apple strudel when I came to a sentence
> that
> stopped me cold: “If you don’t have a helper,” it began.
> If a dish needs a helper, I need to move on.
>
> Although I didn’t end up with a strudel, I did end up on a quest. I
> began asking good cooks I know about recipe deal breakers — those
> ingredients or instructions that make them throw down the whisk and
> walk away."
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/04/dining/04recipes.html?_r=1&ref=dining&oref=slogin
>
> One of the things she chronicles is the now infamous Martha Stewart
> beehive cake that appears on the front of the June issue of MS Living.
> (The pan used for the cake has been out of production for years and
> even
> the suggested substitute Nordicware pan is now unavailable.)
>
> I thought people might enjoy the article. Given what we go through
> in working with medieval and renaissance recipes, most of these
> problems
> don't seem that bad.
>
> Johnnae

Yes, I saw that and wondered how the responses so quickly became a
referendum on what foods people don't like, which is the question that
could have been asked if that had been the intent. In general,
listening to people talk about their food dislikes is much less
interesting, but still easily as unpleasant, as a tax audit or a root
canal.

Okay, maybe I'm being a hypocrite. Soup recipes calling for canned
soup of the same name as an ingredient (Google bisque recipes and see
what I mean) are recipe deal-breakers for me. Not that I have this big
vendetta against canned soup; it just seems sort of fraudulent somehow.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter