[Sca-cooks] Recipe Deal Breakers

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 5 23:26:43 PDT 2008

>jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:
>> When I first started cooking SCA-period recipes, almond milk was a deal
>> breaker. Then it was pie crusts (I still don't make my own). Now... I
>> couldn't tell you for sure what my deal breakers are, except maybe lamb,
>> brains, and most offal. Anyone else have 'deal breakers' in period
>> recipes?
>>

>Organ meats/offal, or marrow. And I haven't the courage to eat eel.
>
>'Lainie

Kidneys, since high school biology class and realized what they were for.  I have not tried some of the other "awful offals" but I'd probably try brains or sweetbreads if they were put before me, well prepared.

I developed a taste for eel mainly at the sushi bars, before I knew what "unagi" meant.  Good stuff!  I bet it smokes well too.

Selene