[Sca-cooks] OT 1434

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sat Jun 7 00:18:16 PDT 2008

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> schrieb am Fr, 6.6.2008:

> Von: Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net>
> Betreff: [Sca-cooks] OT 1434
> An: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
> Datum: Freitag, 6. Juni 2008, 23:54
> Gavin Menzies is at it again.  This time we get "1434:
> The Year a
> Magnificent Chinese Fleet Saile to Italy and Ignited the
> Renaissance."
> Right.
>
> I've been looking over Menzies's website and I
> would say the evidence for
> this one is even shakier than that for "1421."
> What's posted on the website
> appears to overlook Dante, Boccaccio, Petrarch, Donatello,
> Brunelleschi,
> Sangallo, and a host of others who were merrily creating
> the Renaissance
> well before the alleged Chinese visit.  It also doesn't
> mention the flow of
> Classical and Arab works out of Spain after the Spanish
> took Toledo and
> Cordoba in the 11th Century.

I'll see. We discussed this on the AH.com Alternate History foruim and pretty much agreed that was a good place for it, but I'm sure to want to read it. Menzies is entertaining, and he writes a lot better than e.g. Däniken or Heribert Illig (who claims that the Merovingian era, the Umayyad dynasty and the early Anglo-Saxon kingdoms are all fictional).

Giano