[Sca-cooks] OOP: Cottage Cheese & Butter - US vs. Canada

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Sat Jun 7 19:33:10 PDT 2008

> Eduardo wrote:
>> I have been in the States for a LONG time now (1983) and I miss the
>> less salted, no colored, more expensive butter of my youth.
>
> Hmmm... i buy unsalted butter, and there's no added color, so it's
> often rather pale yellow...

I find the regular butter in Victoria to be less salty (not unsalted)
and with no colour in it vs. the colored and salted butter here in
Seattle.

>> My grandparents used to have a house in the States and every winter
>> when they would go to the states they would "smuggle" canadian
>> sausages, bacon (from Canada not Canadian bacon) and Canadian aged
>> Cheddar down to the states.
>
> I love well aged cheddar. I can find it, but it's certainly more
> expensive than the bright orange rubbery cheddar at the average
> supermarket.

We are able to get great cheese in in most every grocery store now,
but even the store brand cheese in Canada seems to be of a higher
quality and you PAY FOR IT! Of course we have our lovely dairy
subsides to thank for cheap (or cheaper) milk products.

>> When I go home I always come back with several things that are
>> impossible or expensive to get here - Scotch Broth, Salad Cream, a
>> specific kind of Sloppy Joe mix, and mint sauce and jelly.
>
> The Berkeley Bowl has imported Salad Cream, and mint sauce and
> jelly...
>
> Campbell's makes, or used to make, something they called "Scotch
> Broth". I don't know if they still do - i haven't bought Campbell's
> soups for many decades - and i don't know how different it may be/
> have been from what you long for. IIRC, it had barley in it, and
> small chunks of meat, maybe lamb. I can't recall what else it had
> in it, it has been a long time since i had any.

I can get Salad Cream at the import store (twice to three times the
price as in Victoria) and of course cross and blackwell is everywhere
now but also very expensive.

Thanks to everyone on the Scotch Broth tip. I will ask again if I can
get a case. Last time they said NO!

> Can't speak to Sloppy Joe mix, since i've never bought any.

It is truly awful stuff but every once in a while you just want
something that gross!

Oh and Nabob Tea!
I have never been able to drink American Black Tea. It tastes like
seaweed to me.
Of course there are some good Earl Greys down here and great herbals
but a plain old cup of tea needs to be Nabob. My taste buds will have
nothing else.

Eduardo