[Sca-cooks] Another potentially Hungarian recipe

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 11 18:50:29 PDT 2008

So we now have:

1.) The V&A English, which isn't terrible, except for the title,
which i posted on Sunday, 8 June:
http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1487_renaissance/recipesmessisbugo.html

Veal Soup in a Hungarian Uproar

Take a piece of veal and cut it into small pieces, then fry in fat
drippings. Add finely chopped onions and fry them with the veal. Once
fried, place in a cooking pot with meat broth and add 300 grams of
honey, 15 grams of pepper, 15 grams of cinnamon, an eighth of an
ounce of saffron and 150 grams of raisins. Cook slowly; then serve.

2.) Thanks to Emilio Szabo (isn't that a Hungarian family name?)
today we received the original Italian of Messisbugo:

Pottaccio, di Vitello in Fracasso, Omgaresco.

Piglia un petto di Vitello, e fallo in pezzoli, e dopoi (dopo??)
fallo soffrigere in grasso colato poi habbi Cipolle ben
peste, e gettale dentro a soffrigere, dopoi come, e soffrito
caualo della Patella, e ponilo in una Pignata con brodo di Carne,
e aggiungeli, libra una di mele, e oncia meza di peuere,
e Cannella, e uno ottauo di Zaffrano, e libra meza d'Vua
passa, e fallo finire di cuocere adagio, e lo imbandirai.

3.) And thanks to Mairi Ceilidh, today we also got the translation of
Master Basilius Phocus of the Midrealm:

Pottage of Veal Broken into Pieces in the Hungarian Style

Take a breast of veal and make into small pieces, and then make it
to fry in sieved fat. Then take onions well pounded and cast them inside
to fry. Then when it is fried remove from the pan and put in a terra cotta
pot with broth of meat, and add a pound of honey, and a half-ounce of
pepper, and cinnamon, and a eighth (ounce) of saffron, and a half- pound
of raisins. And make it to finish with cooking slowly and you shall ready
it for the banquet.

BTW, Mairi, has Master Basilius translated the whole book?

Time for Hungarian Veal Fricassee Soup!

BTW, do we know how young 16th C. Italian veal was? When i was in
Spain in 2000, the "veal" was actually weaned young cow... the meat
was rather dark, although not as dark as mature bovine. Definitely
not the rather white, extremely tender meat of the animal-rights
horror, but gustatory delight, of a purely milk-fed calf which my
family ate with some frequency in the 50s and 60s.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing