[Sca-cooks] Butter

Kerri Martinsen kerrimart at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 23 10:35:39 PDT 2008

On 6/23/08, Doc <edoard at medievalcookery.com> wrote:

> --- Kerri Martinsen <kerrimart at mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > *Butter for health purposes* was left in the
> > sunlight for 12-14 days, this
> > bleaches it and removes the Vitamin A, whilst adding
> > Vitamin D. This was
> > given to children to help prevent rickets.
>

> Considering that vitamin D wasn't discovered until the
> early 20th century, and that vitamin D levels in dairy
> products decrease with oxidation, I'd say that this
> one was total bunk.  Vitamin D is produced in animals
> and plants through exposure to UV radiation - but
> that's in a *living* animal or plant.
>

> > source:
> >
> http://web.onetel.net.uk/~booksearch/walpurgis/bread.htm
>

> Tertiary source that doesn't provide (or link to)
> primary or even secondary sources.  Given some of the
> broad statemens and the misinformation/misleading info
> on butter above, I wouldn't take anything from this
> site as accurate unless it could be backed up with
> other, better documented sources.

Yea, I figured that the information was suspect based on no references.  The
last one (Vit D) was included mostly out of the humor of it.  Because, you
know, everything on the internet is the truth...

Oddly enough, the Wiki article on Butter is fairly well sourced, at least at
a quick glance.

So I'm mostly curious about the clarified butter.  Has anyone tested the
shelf life of it?  Should I add salt to the butter before clarifing?  After
clarifing?

Vitha