[Sca-cooks] Butter

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Jun 24 07:22:16 PDT 2008

Or one could just read what Thomas Cogan has to say.

Thomas Cogan, [1545?-1607] The haven of health is up as a searchable
text in the 1636 edition.
There's an earlier 16th century edition here on the shelf, but this one
from EEBO-TCP is easy to
search and find the references in.

There are a number of May butter mentions such as:

For the Collicke take unset Leekes, blades and all, chop them small,
boyle them in good white wine, with May Butter  or fresh  Butter, untill
the wine be in a manner wasted away, then lay them abroad betweene a
cleane linnen cloth plaisterwise on the belly, so hot as the patient may
well abide it, and at the cooling of that, apply another hot plaister,
and thus doe the third or fourth time together, if need shall so require.

But here  is the passage  for Drummond and Wilson--

Pages 181-182

The necessity of Butter in dressing of meates, in making of salves and
oyntments, I overpasse, yet would I wish that such as have children to
bring up, would not bee without May Butter in their houses. It is to bee
made chiefly in May, or in the heat of the yeare, by setting Butter new
made without salt, so much as you list in a platter, open to the Sunne
in faire weather for certaine daies, untill it bee sufficiently
clarified, and altered in colour, which will be in twelve or fourteene
daies, if there be faire Sunne shining. This is of marvellous vertue in
any exulceration, and I have knowne the wilde fire healed therewith,
 being incorporate with Sage leaves. And for the ease of Infants to
bring forth their teeth,  Galen adviseth us to rubbe their gummes
oftentimes with fresh Butter, and thinketh it of no lesse force than
Hony, for that purpose. Of the making of Butter is left a kinde of whey,
which they commonly call Butter milke, or soure milke, which after it
hath stood a time, becommeth soure, and is much used to bee eaten either
of it selfe, or with sweet milke, especially in the Summer season,
because it is cooling, and no doubt but that it is both moyst and
nourishing, and cleanseth the brest and is shortly digested. Also with
it is made together with sweet milke, a kinde of posset, which is called
a posset of two milkes, or a soure milke posset, which is a very
temperate and cooling drinke, and is used in hot diseases with great
successe, and doth coole more than any other drinke, as is proved daily
in Lankashire, where it is most usuall.

Hope this helps

Johnnae