[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 26, Issue 38

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 10 09:05:13 PDT 2008

> From time to time, listees ask about Hungarian recipes. Besides those
>in Marx Rumpolt, here's another, this time from Italy.
>
>Cristoforo Messisbugo, aka Cristoforo da Messisburgo, authored
>several cookbooks in the 16th century. One was Banchetti, or
>'Banquets', dated 1549. I would assume from his family name that
>either he or his family was not originally Italian.

I've found some references online to him as being from Flanders. Trying to find something more authoritative than that, though.

There is some interesting insight here on how the cuisine of Alto Adige (South Tyrol) still retains the influences of the Germanic and Central European cuisines that influenced Messibugo and the compiler of the Anomino Veneziano:

http://www.emmeti.it/Cucina/Trentino_Alto_Adige/Storia/Trentino_Alto_Adige.ART.84.en.html

Gianotta